A sweet crisp cookie perfect for decorating.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add chilled diced butter to dry ingredients and gently rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Make sure there are no butter lumps left or the cookies will spread.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs, corn syrup and vanilla together until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the butter mixture and pour the wet ingredients into the hollow.
- Combine until the dough holds together, do not over mix.
- Gather dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes until it is firm.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and gently knead dough until it is smooth.
- Cut dough into two balls and roll out the first ball uniformly to about half a centimeter thick, you can use spacers to ensure the thickness is correct.
- Cut out desired cookie shapes using cutters or the edge of a drinking glass making sure to leave as little room as possible between each shape.
- Gather up the left over scraps and addd them to the other ball of dough. Knead lightly to incorporate.
- Roll out second piece and cut out cookies;gather up scraps again and create a smaller ball to roll
- Repeat process until all the dough is used up taking care not to add too much flour during this process. This will make the cookies tough.
- Place all the cookies on the cookie sheets leaving space between each. The cookies will not spread very much but space is required for even baking.
- bake cookies in the center of the oven until they are light brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and after a couple minutes transfer them to a rack to cool. Do not leave them on the hot cookie trays or they will get very firm.
- This recipe makes 40-50 cookies depending on the sie of the cutters.