Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: a 9 inch layer cake
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 2 Tbsps. almond extract
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Nutella Butter Cream Filling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Half a jar of Nutella
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 4 Tbsps. heavy cream
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and place rack in middle of oven. Lightly grease two 9 x 3 inch round cake pans and dust with flour shaking out the excess; Set prepared pans aside.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven and allow nuts to cool completely. Grind nuts coarsely in clean coffee grinder or crush with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl stir together ground hazelnuts, flour, 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch until well combined.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, yolks, remaining sugar, salt, and almond extract on medium speed until combined and then increase speed and beat egg mixture until it is thick and pale in color, about 10 minutes. When you lift the beaters the egg mixture should fall in thick ribbons.
- Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture gently and carefully while gradually drizzling the oil into the bowl as well.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pans and gently smooth the tops. Place cake pans on the middle rack and bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool completely on wire racks before filling and icing.
Nutella Buttercream Filling
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and Nutella until very well combined, about 5 minutes. It will be thick, pale and fairly fluffy.
- Sift confectioner's sugar into the Nutella mixture and beat until very well combined.
- Beat in salt, vanilla and then reduce mixer speed to low to mix in about 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Once the cream is incorporated keep adding cream until the filling is the desired consistency. Continue beating about 3-5 minutes.
- Fill hazelnut cake layers with Nutella filling and chill cake before frosting with chocolate fudge icing.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- In a small bowl sift together the icing sugar and cocoa; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter until very smooth and pale yellow. Beat in the icing sugar mixture in half cup increments alternating with the evaporated milk scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Beat in the vanilla until the frosting is very light and fluffy. Frost cake and enjoy!