A tender crumb cake filled with spiced apple filling and buttery streusel.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
Yield: A nine inch layer cake
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 Tbsps. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 Tbsps. unsalted butter
- 3 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, each cut into 16 slices
- 6 Tbsps. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 Tbsps. firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup large flake oats
- 5 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 tsps. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 ½ cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 4 tsps. pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups sour cream, room temperature
- 8 egg whites
- Whisk egg yolks, 2 Tbsps. sugar and cornstarch in medium bowl until blended smooth.
- Bring whipping cream and apple juice concentrate to simmer in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk cream mixture into yolk mixture and return to same saucepan and whisk over medium heat until the liquid boils and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer thickened filling to a bowl and stir in the apple slices taking cake to coat them all with the hot sauce.
- Transfer the filling to the refrigerator and cool completely covered with plastic wrap that has been pressed down to the surface of the filling to prevent a crust. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- In a small bowl with your fingertips blend butter, brown sugar, and flour until well combined and then toss in nuts. Mix until the nuts are evenly disbursed.
- Chill streusel topping in the refrigerator covered until you need it.
- Gather all your cake ingredients together and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your cake pans by buttering them and dusting with flour. You can also line the bottom with parchment. Line your muffin times with paper cups for the cupcakes as well.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and ginger) in separate medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter in large bowl with electric beaters set on medium speed until butter is fluffy and pale yellow. Add sugar and blend until fully incorporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, blending thoroughly after each. Then mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the sour cream making sure you mix each addition thoroughly before the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl down between additions as well. Use four flour additions and two sour cream additions for the best results.
- In a clean dry bowl beat egg whites on high speed with clean beaters until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into cake batter until fully incorporated.
- Spoon cake batter into cake pans taking care to smooth the surface to ensure even baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes for the cakes and 20 minutes for the cupcakes. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Cool cakes for at least ten minutes and then invert onto wire racks and cool completely to room temperature.
- Wrap cakes and chill completely in the fridge.
- This recipe can be iced in your favorite vanilla buttercream or a more complex icing can be used with success such as a href= "http://babyparenting.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/maplefrosting.htm">maple buttercream or caramel icing. It is up to you which flavor combination you would prefer for the finished cake.
- When you are ready to fill and stack the cakes remove them from the fridge and level off the tops if they are peaked. Make a double batch of your preferred icing.
- Torte the cakes into four equal layers if you wish or simply create a two layer cake with the baked cakes.
- Pipe a dam around the edge of the first layer to hold the apple filling and then spoon either one half or a third of the filling in the center of the layer and spread it out.
- Sprinkle the streusel on the filling and then top with the second layer.
- Repeat until a four layer cake is created or a two layer.
- Ice the outside and decorate.